Friday, March 25, 2011

Lack of Respect with WSU Representation



I am very passionate about being a good role model for others no mater how old they are. I also have WSU Cougar blood running through my veins. Washington State University is not only an institution, but it's a community of some of the most genuine and hardworking people I know. It may not have been where I wanted to go at first, but it was exactly where I needed to be and I do not regret that and never will.

With that said, I am extremely disappointed in our WSU basketball team, the coach and our athletic director. Three students on the team have been caught with marijuana putting a bad taste in everyone's mouth, especially now with national coverage since our team is in the semifinals. As far as legalizing marijuana, I'm not going to use it but I don't really care what happens either way. It's a personal decision, but I'll be the first to not allow my kids around it. However, that's not what I'm frustrated about. It is the fact that marijuana is ILLEGAL at the moment and students who are supposed to be representing WSU in its entirty as a ball player have been caught with it. Moreover, we have an athletic director that lifted the suspension of a ball player just so he could play in the NIC tournament and a coach who started that same player.

So I wrote a letter to the editor of WSU's Daily Evergreen, which you can read below. What are your thoughts?

Personally, WSU needs to step it up. Regain respect among Americans. And POSITIVELY boldly challenge status quo.

http://www.dailyevergreen.com/story/33836

Casto and team facilitate embarrassing reputation
Editor:

With articles from other newspapers like the Spokesman-Review in mind proving Casto’s lawyer has no definitive answer for any question, I am severely ashamed to be a WSU Cougar at the moment. Sure I was rooting for our team and I was a part of the Twitter frenzy when we beat Northwestern, but where do we draw the line?

I understand the importance of winning and that a coach must win to bring in the dough, but allowing a student to get away with breaking the rules is a sure way to teach our youngsters that it’s OK to be an idiot if you’re famous. Apparently, WSU’s Athletic Director Bill Moos and WSU’s Head Basketball Coach Ken Bone think differently. Even though Moos lifted the suspension, Bone didn’t have to start or play him. To me, rules are rules and should apply to everyone. I am a die-hard Coug just like the next, but I also believe in respect, honor and integrity. Allowing Casto to play in the NIT game illustrates his lack of respect for his university, team and coach, including others around him. There is no honor in destroying a reputation of the team you’re supposed to be representing. Moral principles and integrity? Those were both out the window when he allowed himself to be around the marijuana to begin with. This would have never flown on Coach Bennett’s team.

I find it strange that his suspension was lifted just because he plead not guilty. Playing on a team isn’t like playing the law. If you flirt with breaking the rules of a team, you disrespect your team and your coach. How can a team trust you? Casto is supposed to be a mature, responsible adult. He should have distanced himself from any temptation, possession or in the same vicinity of marijuana. He should have served his suspension.

What’s extremely embarrassing is that whether or not he’s guilty, Casto has now made a name for WSU along with his fellow teammates. As a representation of Washington State University, or any other university at that, a student athlete should not break nor flirt with the law. Black and white. That should be the sacrifice to play ball for a university. But those who should enforce the rules should do just that. Allowing Casto to get away with it has now illustrated to the rest of America that WSU students are a bunch of potheads, and I take personal offense to that. Moore, Thompson, Casto, Bone and Moos have together tarnished WSU’s reputation. Who would want to send their child to a university like ours?

Fortunately, I know WSU is better than that, but instead of getting positive press about our record, we’re getting negative press about marijuana. I can’t imagine the headache for our traveling recruiters.

Britni Freiboth

WSU alumnus ‘08

6 comments:

  1. First of all, I would like to say thank you for submitting a letter to the editor. This topic has been bothering me as well for quite some time. I really feel like the administration does not have a good handle on this situation. It's almost as if the entire team needs to be repremended for one player's actions to get the point across.

    On another note, I have to take a step back and wait for the legal system to run its course. Take a look at the UW - Venoy Overton situation. There were various speculations and rumors in regards to how coach Lorenzo Romar was handling the case. Venoy continued to play the entire regular season until finally the judge ruled that he had been supplying alcohol to minors.

    You could say that Bill Moos and Ken Bone are trying to take a step back and wait for the court to set the verdict before they take action. Sometimes it's good to give kids the benefit of the doubt.

    I will say that I was also very displeased with how the Pullman Police Department handled the situation. Breaking into someones house at 2 AM because a screen was missing? Come on, that just sounds like profiling. They should have gathered themselves and privately addressed the evidence with the coaching staff and administration instead of realeasing public accusations within 24 hours.

    There are still a lot of pieces that need to be sorted out. However, looking at the grand scheme of things, you're right; the players shouldn't even give us a reason to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you might be legally retarded...

    Klay and Casto were both Bennett Recruits? You think they just started smokin this year?

    Nobody out there is REALLY believing that all kids do is Smoke Weed in Pullman, if that were the case just by reading the Police Blotter at other Schools you would think UW students are nothing but Bums Selling Crack on the Ave ....

    For the love of god STFU and dont post anymore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone has a big mouth when they're behind the "Anonymous" curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Legally retarded lol Big words for someone who is afraid to use their name :) I think that Britni makes a VERY good point. It is not that EVERYONE thinks that the entire WSU campus are pot heads, but when you are playing ball for the school you are a REPRESENTATIVE. Regardless of how you feel about pot it is currently illegal, and therefore NO ONE on the team should be engaging in it while playing for WSU. Take the player from BYU (who I am sure that the team didn't want to lose) is now no longer playing because he broke the code and engaged in pre-marital sex. Doesn't matter what your beliefs are, when you agree to rules you stick by them or there will be consequences. WSU athletic director and coach are simply saying "we will deal with this after we win the championship". While I am sure that the player doesn't mind their decision to let him play it sends the wrong message to others ESPECIALLY younger kids who look up to them.

    Brit, you are BOLD, well spoken, and eloquent. Keep it coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, whoever Anonymous is, if you’re trying to prove a point, you may want to use a little more professionalism. No one is going to agree with you if you’re trying to pick fights. Plus, a faceless coward gets you nowhere.

    Secondly, I’d greatly appreciate a better use of language on my blog, including the implication of actions not fit for all eyes.

    Thirdly, I know those players were recruited by Bennett. However, they would not have gotten away with just a slap on the wrist. Did you ever interact with Bennett personally? Based on your responses, I’d assume not. Unfortunate for you, but he’d attend Campus Crusade and talk to the students there.

    Last but not least, if you need me to clear up any more details, I’d be more than happy to assist you. Clean up your act, or your comments will be deleted as you can see already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick and Jess, You both have plausible and respectful comments, and I appreciate it!

    Nick, I also agree that justice has to play out. It's more the fact that this was strike three for WSU students. For WSU in the lime light of the tourneys, it created a frenzy for people to bash WSU's name and honor. It's extremely unfortunate and as an alumni, I do not appreciate it one iota.

    Jess, I just love you. You summarized exactly what I was trying to say. I wrote the article to prove a point and see what others had to say. It was meant to be black and white. Not a wavering bunch of pathetic words.

    I obviously included my name because I'm not afraid at people knowing where I stand. Unfortunately for our anonymous friend, s/he only proved that a mouthy faceless coward is worthless in an argument.

    ReplyDelete