Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What is love?



When I think of this, all I want to do is break out into song... "What is love? Baby, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more!" But that's not what I want to talk about, yet when you love someone, they're bound to hurt you. If you love them enough, is it worth it to work through the pain to make it better?

One of my students asked me the other day what love meant to me, and she told me she'd explain later. Background: This student doesn't use the word love lightly. Her and her parents hardly even use it for each other, as it's assumed their love is already known. Apparently a few students feel the same way. "People (family & friends) should just know I love them. There's no need to say it."

Wow, to me, there should never be a day you don't tell the people you love, that you indeed love them. I'm only 25, but there have already been instances where I wish I would have told close family or friends I loved them more. You never know when today will be their last. Or yours.

Back to my student, it ended up that I gave her a great answer to an in-class question. Yep, I got suckered into it without asking. But I liked my answer enough I thought I'd share it!

To me love is an expression of deep affection and endearment towards someone, whether they're your spouse, family, friends, etc. I tell people I love them, if I love them enough to be my family. Family is my world, but my family is extensive. I have my blood family, but I also have the work and friend families. I deeply, emotionally care about all of them and their well-beings.

Love is unexplainable. Love is simple, yet complex. It's what binds us as individuals and societies. It's unconditional. It is infinite and does not vary depending on who or what it is intended for. Life is all about love. If you do the things you love to do around the people you love to be around, you will live a wonderful life.

Love isn't just about "our other half" out there. Sure it's a piece of it, but it isn't everything. (Check out this article for make-it or break-it signs of a perfect match http://bit.ly/kesvnL)

Overall, love is an emotion of affection that I illustrate to many with the same intention: care, personal loyalty, and fondness for those around me. So pay it forward, tell those around you that you love them, even if you assume they already know. You honestly never know when you won't have the opportunity to do so any longer.

But WHAT ABOUT YOU? What is love to you?

Lovingly and boldly challenging status quo.


2 comments:

  1. Very good post. I agree completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me ... love is a verb. its those actions that show people you love them ... how you treat them, how you make them feel, etc. I can tell my friends and family I love them, and I wouldn't want to go a day without doing that, but they won't believe me unless I back it up with the way Im treating them. :) Oh I Love love! :) - Lacey Harper

    ReplyDelete