Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Continuing the Tradition of a Full Plate



Moving to Phoenix has been such a blessing. I practically jumped head first into a sea of opportunities left and right, not knowing when to stop or say no. Those closest to me know that's exactly how I like it – a full calendar with her hands in everything.

Working for Yelp with wonderful people I can connect with on different levels is something I was definitely missing in Nebraska, and really, even before then. I’m surrounded by intelligent, forward-thinking, entertaining, and constant-strivers-to-be-better people. I have never been as awestruck by the caliber of so many people working for one company as I am with my coworkers at Yelp. Everyone helps everyone succeed. It’s not a blood bath of ignorant, self-serving vampires whom I have worked with in almost every capacity of my past. OK, minus the fangs. I’ve made so many great memories (among them being annihilated by a swarm of Africanized Killer Bees on Camelback Mountain) with so many more to come.

Then comes school. Not only am I working 40 hours a week (maybe secretly more), I’m also getting an MBA at Arizona State University during nights and weekends. Within that, I'm trying for three concentrations consisting of international business, marketing, and entrepreneurship (most get maybe one). Right off bat, I was elected as our class rep (student advisory board)! I’m also involved in a few other things at school (no surprise) and have absolutely loved the opportunity to continue to be surrounded by a completely different caliber of people from all walks of industries around the Valley. I was absolutely not expecting all of the team work and projects (which take more time than actual class itself), so it’s taken a bit of time to get situated, but hopefully I’m on the right track. First semester with a 4.0 though. Can’t really beat that!

But it hasn’t been an easy transition. At the beginning of work, I was producing above and beyond results since that’s what I strive to do. There’s a reason my motto/creed/whatever says I’m a blood-sweating slave to perfection. I can’t stand anything less. Granted, I was working 50/60 hour weeks but I was proud of the work I accomplished. Then school hit. No more could I push my limits nor spend extra time on either, especially if I needed it. I definitely found myself breaking down because I wasn’t able to give myself fully to either. I still think I’m slightly in a state of figuring it out, but I’ve come to the realization that with school, I’m not going to be the same person as I was before. I’m bettering myself, but it’s also challenging me to be able to juggle a lot when both entities are expecting the best results. I’m glad people expect the best from me (even when it does get overwhelming), but that just means I have to pick up the pace and learn how to take one thing at a time.

Maybe I’m a bit out of practice with my constant juggle of a hundred million things. It’s the way I lived my life as an undergrad student, but I haven’t been in the same situation since I graduated almost four years ago. I just love all of the opportunities my life has set before me (with meeting and getting to know so many wonderful people), along with the places I get to visit (like Yelp’s San Francisco HQ or Germany for school), and the events I get to be a part of. I can’t say I make it easy on myself because I sure don’t. Everyone expects the best from me, but I expect even more of myself. Maybe it’s to a fault, but that’s just the way I was wired.

OK OK This isn't in Phoenix, but I did just spend a weekend with a best friend, Desilee at a cabin in North Idaho :)
There’s so much more that I could write about this, but until next time, I’m continuing to hold strong as I boldly challenge status quo.


No comments:

Post a Comment