Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Best Summer Ever Part Three: The Month of July



Pandora current song: Would You Go With Me by Death Cab For Cutties

The month of July was probably the biggest adventure by far. I loved seeing my friends, but July brought new accomplishments and lots of family time. To start the month off, I again ran a lot as my half marathon was nearing ever so quickly.

The view from my Papa's house.
View from Smith Rock State Park on the morning of my half marathon.
Every July 4 holiday for the past eight years, my family has gone to visit my Papa Wilde in Terrebonne, Oregon, near Crooked River Ranch and 45 minutes east of Bend. My Aunt Geri, Uncle Bo, and 2-year-old cousin Bjerre also drove up to Papa’s house. The tradition I missed the most last year since I was stuck in Dallas, Texas working, was hiking Smith Rock with my dad. Every morning right at dawn, we hiked up Misery Ridge and around the rest of the rock
 to get my dad’s heart pumping. He did twice as well every day we went, which made me so proud of him. (My pictures of Smith Rock State Park) 

My dad goofing around while Mom and I figured out
our new cameras. I wonder where my weirdness comes from.
Confession. I technically bought my camera just to expedite my mom’s purchase of a nice camera. She’d been drooling over a camera for ages and I knew she’d continue to make excuses, so I stooped to a new low of causing jealousy. She bought hers at Costco while in Oregon so she could start playing with it before we went to Hawaii. She loves that camera like a fat kid loves cake! (My pictures of our Oregon visit)

Mom and I were the unofficial photographers and Bjerre had superstar status. There were very few moments when we didn’t have our cameras out taking pictures of something. We took pictures of Bjerre, we took pictures of Papa on his brand new bike since he had to one-up me on brand new toys, we took silly pictures and fun ones too.

Geri and Bjerre.
Mom and Dad were only in Oregon for five days with two of those as travel days. We went shopping at the Outlet Mall, got our tasty coffee in Sisters, Oregon like always, and then went home to drink wine and chill with the family. Bjerre’s favorite part was playing with our pets. She especially loved walking the dogs or climbing the stairs to go see my kitties. She had a routine she loved to do with them including, but not limited to: looking for the kitties, petting and saying hello to the kitties, rocking kitties in her rocking chair, getting into bed with the kitties, getting out of bed and streeeeetching big and tall, then doing it all over again. After awhile she chose rocking the kitties and getting in bed with them, so that was repeated at least five times before we could leave the room. My cats were so good with her letting her do whatever she wanted to them without caring too much. What troopers. Bjerre also loved walking the dogs and my dog was the most perfect match since Celest wouldn’t pull or go any faster than turtle speed. I think Bjerre first took my mom’s dog, Kiah, but that was short lived.
Mom and Pirate in the agility ring. 

My mom has her own tradition in Oregon as she enters her dogs into an agility competition near Papa’s house. I’d never been to a show of hers before as the only shows I’d been to previously were my own. It was fun to see my mom get out there with a crazy, excited dog and have fun!

Another tradition is July 4th dinner with my Papa’s friends and our relatives in surrounding areas. Dad and I hiked the Rock again and then left for coffee. I’m usually one to help set up, but I also know how to gauge my dad’s attitude and it was to a point where he needed to get away from the house :) We ended up having a wonderful evening of family fun for sure.

Mom and Dad left with the menagerie of pets in their van, while I stayed back with my Papa. 

Bo trying a new technique...
Geri and Bo stayed for another day as well so we ended up rallying around Central Oregon shopping, walking, and drinking espresso. Bjerre and I had to check to see if the kitties came back to my room, but to her disappointment, they were still gone. Bo tried to skateboard on this funky looking kind of board while holding a trash bag to pick up speed from the wind. It was hilarious! Just as he was saying it’s safe enough for him to hold Bjerre while he boarded around, he biffed it. I think he ate he words along with a chunk of concrete.

Bjerre making cupcakes out of rocks.
Geri and I watched Bjerre make cupcakes and such out of rocks on the walkway. She had this whole story of baking them and eating them. Tasty!

After Bo, Geri and Bjerre left for San Francisco, Papa and I had a week of hanging out, 
Me and Hope in Sunriver, OR at George
and Carol's 50th anniversary.
drinking espresso, and relaxing. I spent quite a lot of time studying for my GMAT test, trained for my half marathon, and worked a little bit on finances.

George and his entire extended family ended up in Sun River, Oregon for his and Carol’s 50th wedding anniversary. I traveled out to see the crew and work on a few business ideas and obstacles. His family is always so inviting and welcoming! I had a great time with them for the short period I was there. His youngest granddaughter, Hope, has the heart of an angel and couldn’t give me enough hugs. She ended up being my little shadow as I was there, which makes me smile even now. I love kids of all ages and it makes me smile when they enjoy me back. Their energy, spunk, creativity and unknowing responses are contagious! It’s great to feel like a kid again and act like one with them. Plus they always enjoy when adults play back. I just can’t wait to have my own :) WHEN the time is right of course.  

The Painted Hills in Central Oregon.
We also took a day driving around to different landmarks across Central Oregon. We went to the Painted Hills, which are literally mounds of geological formations of more than 30 million years of earth’s history. The different tick marks or lines in the soil indicate intensity levels of minerals telling the story of various ancient geological eras. It’s quite surreal.

We also went to the lava river cave near Bend, Oregon where Papa and I rented a lantern and walked about a mile through it. It’s one of the longest continuous lava tubes in Oregon. What made it even more fun was that we had three guys following us speaking in a different language. I asked them if they were from Germany as I suspected they were
The opening of the lava tube.
speaking German. Fortunately, I know the inflections and a few words. Unfortunately, I didn’t study it for long and have lost most of the ability to understand it or speak it. Lucky for me, I was right and didn’t have to make too much of a fool of myself. The coolest part was that they were from Mannheim, Germany!! I told them I had lived there when I was really young and was shocked to meet someone who knew where Mannheim even was, let alone actually being from there! So they walked with us down and back talking about work, life, etc. I should have gotten their information to keep in touch, but we all went on our merry way after. Oh well. I still have a good story!

1st Half Marathon!
The next day was my first half marathon!! I was so excited to actually get to this point. When I got there, I think someone had knocked on the door of all the mosquitoes in the area as they were gnawing on all the fresh meat that showed up. I had been there almost every morning before hand for two weeks without ever seeing any mosquitoes. But on that morning, I was covered in bites before running. I expected to see more people out for the event, but I had just finished my 8K of 12,000 people in Seattle, so my mind was tainted. I started and finished without stopping, but I ended up
I finished alive!
tweaking my knee halfway. In my compensation of the pain, I ended up straining my opposite foot as well. All I wanted to do was finish so the pain would stop. I didn’t finish as well as I had wanted, but I had finished! I have a medal to prove it. The best part was that my Papa was there at the start and finish. I enjoyed having him there to cheer me on! (Pictures of my race)

That day, I laid on the couch after I showered and hardly moved a muscle. I had an intense stomach ache, sore from running, and tired from little sleep the night before. Both Papa and I were lazy bums the rest of the day and it was awesome!

My "hardcore" Papa, when in fact he's a big teddy bear.
The last full day I spent in Oregon with my Papa, we went to a street fair in Bend. We looked at all of the vendors, but paid particular attention to those who did wood work. My Papa is a fantastic wood artist, but I’m also partial to him ;) There was one vendor who created a 3D effect for cutting boards that we liked. After we examined those pretty well, we thought Papa could make even better imitations. (My pictures of random Oregon scenes)

We had a wonderful last dinner together with deep conversations about life. I think the deep conversations I have with him are so fascinating. I’m normally one that can’t just sit around, but when it comes to my Papa, I completely enjoy drinking wine and chatting for hours. (My pictures of my Papa)

The next morning I was headed to San Francisco, but before I did I wanted to tackle Misery Ridge and run it three times. My dad and I had seen an elderly gentleman walk up and down it a few times, so I thought I should be able to run it. I succeeded, passing multiple families both going up and down along the way. I even saw the elderly man at the top on his last jaunt down for the day. He said it was cheaper to hike Misery Ridge three times a day three times a week than to pay for a gym membership and have to be inside. What a trooper!

On my last run down, one of the climbers hanging from the side asked if I were crazy. Him and his buddy had seen me go up and down and thought if I could do that, I should join them climbing. Unfortunately, I was leaving Central Oregon so I couldn’t, but I’d consider coming back through to do it. The only problem was that I had never rock climbed before so I was going to be a newbie. He said he brought newbies up all the time. We exchanged numbers while I continued drenching in my sweat and while he hung from the rock. Well, you never know when you’ll meet a new friend. 
Buildings in downtown, San Fran.
Off to San Fran I go. Once I got out of town, I changed my wet, gross clothes while I drove so I wasn’t a miserable mess for 8 hours in my car. I finally arrived at my aunt and uncle’s house later that night. Bjerre came running over to me saying “Kitties!” Again to her dismay, kitties weren’t present, but I was an OK alternative.

The next day I went out to lunch with my aunt and her coworker, but other than that my first few days were consumed with work and more work. It was so frustrating that I couldn’t get it done and I was so close to city life, but couldn’t get out there. FINALLY after two days of my nose in my computer, I was set free.

Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco
I hopped on the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) early morning to hit the streets of downtown San Fran. Since I didn’t take my car into the city, I had to walk everywhere. I figured I’d miss something if I took the bus, 
China Town
taxi or trolley so I think I ended up walking over 6 miles throughout the day. I went to North Beach, Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, China Town, Lombard Street, and the path to the Golden Gate Bridge. I took hundreds of pictures which was my ultimate goal of the day. I didn’t end up shopping until the very end of my day for many reasons. One: I just wanted to make sure I got to see everything. Two: I didn’t want to carry everything all day. Three: I didn’t really have any desire to shop (surprising I know). I don’t care for nick knacks or souvenirs.
Typical San Francisco road.
To me it’s a waste, but when it comes to clothes, that’s another story. I found my favorite places and then was in trouble. I finally had to leave because I couldn’t carry anything else. Desire to not shop was destroyed. (My pictures of San Francisco) (My pictures of China Town)
The top of Mt. Diablo!

The next day I biked Mt Diablo. First of all, it took me all 
morning to figure out how to pump air into the back bike tire. I had all of the tools I needed but the stupid thing wouldn’t work. I finally broke down and asked for help (which I hate doing as well as bothering people at work), but I finally figured it out. So half my day was shot. Secondly, I had NO idea what I was getting myself into. I packed my water bottle and camelbak and headed towards the mountain.

The the top of San Francisco near the Sutro Tower.
By that time, it was probably pushing 90 degrees or hotter, but I said I’d do it so there was no turning back. All I thought about was my uncle’s comment, “You’ll be my hero if you finish.” I’m sure when my aunt reads this, she’ll think “WHY are you so stubborn?!” My reply is that I’m part Wilde. ;) There were moments I had to walk my bike. Moments I stopped to catch my breath in the shade. Moments I wanted to just turn around and fail. But I couldn’t.
Fisherman's Wharf

About halfway up, I was out of water. I stopped at a little hut where a man was sitting on a bench. He told me there was water in the back so luckily I was able to refill. If he hadn’t been there, I would have had to turn around and be bummed that I didn’t finish my goal. He told me it only got steeper and I was scared I’d die of exhaustion. OK not literally, but I was already pooped. 
Exploring the city!

Four hours later I reached the top!! It was such a feat!! I was so proud of myself, but then I looked at my watch. I had 45 minutes to get home and meet my aunt for pedicures. I raced as quickly as I could home and even then it took an hour. I hadn’t anticipated it would take me so long to bike a mountain, but I couldn't back down once I started. Based on Google maps, I biked about a total of 32 miles from 0 to 3,864ft elevation. Crazy awesome experience and beautiful from the top! (My pictures of Mt. Diablo)

Amoeba Music in San Fran
with live bands inside!
Miss Bjerre became sick one of the days so my uncle and I hopped on the BART and traversed around San Fran once again. We had every intent to go to the de Young Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco to see the Impressionism Art, but we got distracted by random other cool places. Like the Sutro Tower after we climbed hundreds of stairs to get to it, the Amoeba Music store, a random park, a “merry round,” and I’m sure I’m missing something. We arrived just in time for the Impressionist Exhibit to be sold out. BUT the adventure was enjoyable hands down!
At Angel Island. It was such a beautiful day for a tour!
Another awesome excursion was Alcatraz and Angel Island! I took a cruise tour to both islands alone since I was unable to get any more than one ticket, and because Bjerre was still sick. I spent all day on the islands analyzing the history behind closed doors. Angel Island was neat, but it can’t compare to Alcatraz. The media tour took me all through the prison, but I stopped it almost every 5 minutes to take pictures or do my own exploration. Again I took an insane amount of pictures! (My Alcatraz pics and my Angel Island pics) 
In a prison cell at Alcatraz!

Out in the front of Alcatraz
During the week I was in San Francisco, Bjerre would have to take nightly baths. Apparently she’s pretty good at choosing Geri or Bo every other day based on who’s turn it was. While I was there however, it was always my turn. :) I’d brush my teeth with her too, but I didn’t realize I stand on one foot because she’d copy me. We played outside, went on walks with Geri, watched TV, and had a hoot!! I miss that little girl so much and wish I could spend more time with her! 
Alcatraz from the ball court.


I had more deep conversations with my aunt and realized how much I wish she lived closer or I lived closer to her. I have one of the best families in the world. Go ahead and challenge me, but you won’t win. OK maybe you would in your mind, but I have some of the most genuinely kind and loving people in my life and I have the privilege of calling them family.

I wish everyday I could be more a part of my families’ lives, especially my cousins. I think it is SO important to be a good role model, but I also think it’s important to spend as much time with family because you never know what God has in store. Granted I love my traveling and have a hard time staying in one place, but I cherish every moment I can with my family.

BACK TO PHOENIX!! This time the average daily temperature was 110 and “cooled down” to 85/90 degrees at night. It was awesome!! I have a great heat threshold so I wasn’t knocked on my butt hardly at all. I even ran up to 9 miles in 100 degree weather with my Camelbak. Pure greatness!

Me and Lacey at the Diamond Backs baseball game.
This trip was such a breath of fresh air. We didn’t have anywhere to be or anything to really accomplish so we took each day one at a time. I helped Lacey get her 1st grade room set up and ready for school to start. We ate lots of spectacular sushi. Tried to go to Sedona’s Slide Rock, but it had flash flooded. Spent two days in the lazy river at Wet n Wild along with sitting and chatting in the shallow part of the wave pool. Little kids thought we looked cool so they kept coming over and greeting us. It was quite adorable.

What I wasn’t expecting because I had never been in Phoenix in July were all of the monsoons, clouds and rain! Not so sure I liked the rain, especially because the humidity index became almost unbearable, even if it were at night.

Lacey, Steve and I went to a Diamond Backs baseball game! Lace and I also had lunch with 
Phoenix Fire Department!
her freshman-year roommate, Whitney. SO FUN! Later, we walked around Tempe Marketplace and consumed second-to-none sushi at Kabuki Sushi. We saw SALT (best action movie of the year I think) and shopped around for good deals. We also added points to Lace’s cool scale by bringing cookies to Steve’s station. 

Overall, a great week of relaxation along with family issues flaring up and work exploding in my face. I thanked God for throwing that at me while I was with Lacey as I usually have to deal with things alone. It was a nice change of pace to be able to lean on someone.

Back to San Fran for one more night. Since Geri fly to Hong Kong for a work trip, Bo, Bjerre 
First real rock climb!
and I went to dinner and ice cream. Eating with a 2 year old was very entertaining, but I think I handled it well. Afterwards, we ate ice cream and ran along the sidewalk of a building where it took every ounce of willpower for Bjerre not to jump in the fountain. She loves water to its fullest, and that’s an understatement.
I had so much fun climbing!

It didn’t take much arm twisting, but I ended up going back to Central Oregon to learn how to rock climb. I was STOKED! I drove all night to arrive at Smith Rock at 9AM. The first climb was an 11B. Apparently that's a medium hard climb and yeah, it was. I only got to the second carabiner when I fell and slammed my knee. I was pretty shaken up and didn’t finish. How pathetic, but the lack of foot and hand grips was not easy.

After lunch, we went to a much easier climb and finally I got to try a decent one. I wasn’t scared at all about the height. What was hard to comprehend was the spots where I didn’t have a solid footing. My shoes were too big so if I needed a good grip, I didn’t feel stable enough. I know better for next time. But I still had a blast scaling the rock the few times that I did. I cannot wait to pursue that with my friends! It was such an adrenaline rush and sense of accomplishment!! (My pictures of rock climbing)

Me and Desilee fishing for king salmon!
Next up, Seiko for King salmon fishing with roomster, Desilee, and Patrick. We caught an OK amount of fish. 
Des and me on a rock
out at the ocean!
Spent an afternoon hiking out to the ocean. Made a few campfires. But most of all, had a great time. Girls kicked butt (obviously). Having Des and Patrick with us was a blast as Des is my adventurous, hard core, outdoorsy friend. I am just so blessed not only with great family but priceless friends. I would not be the person I am today without any of them. They all have a special place in my heart and would be devastated without them. (My pictures of fishing with Desilee)

Two more weeks of my summer left. On to August!!

Live boldly challenging status quo!

Pandora current song: Speed of Sound by Coldplay

4 comments:

  1. Nice post! I love your pics and your writing ways. I want to share a helpful resource which i like best. gmatonlinetest.com . I think it's useful for GMAT test takers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Man like GRE! I appreciate that advice tremendously. Hope you have a great rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're G-pa's place is BEAUTIFUL!!! OMG...I think we need to plan a Bend trip sometime around our Alaska trip:) What do you thing??? hehe...Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desilee, I so agree! Then we could hit up all the awesome places around Central Washington, including climbing Smith Rock. My Papa would LOVE company anytime! I love the idea! :) Love you roomster!

    ReplyDelete