Friday, July 27, 2012

Finding Inspiration Again


It’s been awhile and don’t get me wrong - I’ve been inspired, but wow! The year has just blown by. I’ve been through my first year as an MBA student, been at Yelp through the wild ride it’s been, and even spent a month in Europe!

I was on such a high when I came back from Europe. The culture, the history, people, food - the list goes on. I was so inspired by what I saw and learned; I just couldn’t hide it upon return. But then, disaster struck and I dove way down. I was incredibly sad to not be in Europe any more, surrounded by about 50 people from across the world who also decided to take the MBA class like me.

There was no drama. At all! Weird? I thought so too, but we all clicked like we’d known each other for ages. You could morph into any group for meals, trips during the week, or long excursions on the weekends. I couldn’t have planned a more successful trip!

What am I missing here that makes me long for that again, or long for school to start up again? It’s people I’m surrounded with that inspire me, challenge me, and genuinely enjoy similar things as me (well mostly outdoor, crazy things!). Most of my close friends have munchkins, significant others, or partake in activities that are true to my character. Totally not judging and so love everyone of them, but I feel like I’m missing something.

The things that make me feel completely whole are being a part of a church community, being outside and doing crazy, outdoor adventures, and being introduced to new things. I miss my Dallas church because it was a community, a family, I could rely on. A family full of solid, good people with so many things we all did together. It was a small, Dallas church of about 10,000 people - yeah that’s small in Dallas - but we did so much and I was able to meet very interesting people. I need to get plugged in here in AZ, but it’s not the same and the one I enjoy is 30 min away. Perspective - if it’s further than 10 miles, it’s far here.

I guess I’m a bit more intense than most others I know. I run a lot, hike Camelback like it’s nobodies business, and am getting into Crossfit. I’d love to find people who can keep up! Tough to find!

Well, to get myself plugged back in, I think I’m going to Jamaica for a service project to build homes with a bunch of 20- & 30-year-olds. I love projects like that! It’s so fulfilling and I enjoy every moment. I’m not about illustrating myself as a Jesus freak because I’m not comfortable with it myself, but I’ll do everything outside of that to inspire and do things for others!

I also found someone who is pretty much amazing, and I wish I would have gotten to know her sooner! Steph Neiheisel (I didn’t even look, Steph! I hope I’m right lol) is so chill, loves the outdoors like I do, is super creative and funky, and has the coolest edge about her that I wish I could capture even an iota amount of. Her passion is makeup, but her creativity spills over to photography, fashion, finding funky hole-in-the-wall local businesses, and of course, blogging!

We climbed Camelback last weekend and we got off the mountain knowing it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship :)

So, the moral of the story is, don’t lose out on opportunities. Open up to ideas you may have never thought about. Most of all, don’t hold back!

Still trying to kick butt by boldly challenging the status quo!

No comments:

Post a Comment