Sunday, July 29, 2012

Finding a Meaningful, Tangible Purpose





How do you find a purpose in things that aren’t tangible? I’ve found that question tough to answer in a career that’s ever-changing. Not only do I not know what I want to do when I grow up, I feel like I can’t find my footing to even propel from.

For me, tangible accomplishments are a big deal. I know I work hard, but typically, I find myself being “too much” that it becomes a negative energy. Unfortunately, I don’t really know how to dial down my intensity. I don’t know how to communicate to other people that I’m not out for their positions or jobs. I’m sure the way I attack life is a bit off-putting because I work my butt off for what I want or do. I’m a threat to people who can just casually go about their days. Sadly, I find those kind of people frustrating - so much so that they suck the life out of me!

I think the biggest energy suck is not having a tangible, meaningful purpose or goal. I’ve had to step back and refocus myself - some of it at work, but much of it in my personal life. I’m so much more satisfied overall when I workout in the mornings. Giving myself goals like beating my last half-marathon time, finding human marks on the mountain I’m going to pass, and surrounding myself with other crazy fitness freaks. Since I know that, I’m that much more fulfilled when I stick with at least that.

With my career, it’s still an unknown. I’m captivated with certain aspects, yet NEED to utilize my creativity, strategy and leadership soon or I may go insane. People tell me I already am, :) but meticulously planning my life is called organization - not insanity. The blank puzzle pieces of my life that sit in the middle without a face to where they connect with the overall picture stare fiercely at me daily. I know what they represent. They represent talents and skills I love to use, but have no reason to at the moment. I get to put them into play when school rolls around and, damn, does it feel good!

What I need to do is find the same thing with the rest of my life. Find a purpose, a purpose that emulates the part of life I enjoy, that captivates others and me, to leave me satisfied. I am not going to wait around for the tangible, meaningful things to knock me upside the head. Yet, if I can’t find them, I will undoubtedly move on.

Stability is great, but if there isn’t a challenge, you aren’t living to your full potential. If you’re bored, you aren’t captivated. If you can’t find your meaningful, tangible purpose, move ON already!

Live life by boldly challenging status quo!

No comments:

Post a Comment