Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Epiphany



While I was applying for grad school, the same question I kept getting asked was something along the lines of “What are your long term career goals?” Well, crap! I had no idea what to say because I haven’t figured that out yet. I wrote about some compilation of ideas between reaching out, collegiate success for others, technology or retail industries, and making a difference and non-profit work. The goals changed depending on the day I was writing my application essays.

After I filled out double digits of applications to top universities across the world, I started thinking I’d enjoy international event planning. Planning large entertainment events across the world would be such a FUN career! A former professor of mine does just that which is where I got the idea. But how do I get into that?

I started looking into headquarters of restaurants, resorts, golf tournaments, retail stores, travel agencies, and every other headquarters in between that could possibly get me to that overall goal. (I’m pretty sure once I move to Phoenix, every agency will know who Britni Freiboth is because they all have my resume!)

But then I started thinking about my essays and what the underlying messages were that I was trying to imply. I thoroughly enjoy the satisfaction of putting others before myself in any situation. However, I delight in fighting for a good cause to raise money whether I participate in running activities, or creating my own charity events. I believe I was born to fight for those who cannot or will not fight for what is ethically right. I am a firm believer in what is popular is not always right, but what is right is not always popular, and I live my life based on influencing others to choose based on ethical values. I have a genuine, passionate, competitive, active personality, which is a deadly combination. Once I set my mind on a goal, I will achieve it no matter what obstacles fall in my way. If I can teach others or help others achieve their goals along the way, I will have succeeded.

Confession. The idea came from watching the current “Bachelor” on ABC. Emily Maynard, who seems to be one of the most genuine women on the show, is a career event planner for a children’s hospital. OK sure, it’s reality TV, but after a few episodes, the idea started to sink in and really hit home for me. In no other career could I fulfill everything I want to accomplish in life than just that!

Sure it takes a special person to be centered around terminally ill children, and someone tried to throw that reality at me. My response was exactly how I feel... If I can create some sort of difference for these children in their darkest hours, bring them experiences they may never have the opportunity to have again, or simply be the one to put a smile on their faces, I will have succeeded. It would be such an awarding, heartfelt, humbling career where I could be giving back on a daily occurrence. Think about it! If you know me, you know this idea would be quite a perfect fit. I absolutely adore kids of all ages. I love charity work and putting smiles on faces. But most of all, it would give back to others as much as it would give back to me.

I’ve never had such an epiphany before in my life that I’m practically speechless! NOW, how do I go about doing this? Very article about careers to go into heavily include healthcare, so even if my mind changes again, studying healthcare administration won’t hurt. The ASU MBA program consists of an award winning health sector emphasis. I had initially wanted to study leadership and international business, but honestly the leadership classes seemed like another rendition of experiences I’ve already had. So then I considered marketing and entrepreneurship, which I may still go after, but not like I had planned before. Phoenix also has quite the children’s hospital so I’m trying desperately to get in somehow so someday I can fulfill my overall dream.

It seems like my dreams, ideas, and reality are all starting to mesh together like never before. My anticipation and impatience to start down this path is creating such a frenzy within me full of pure excitement and dedication that I can hardly keep it in!

Speechless? Obviously far from. Why keep such great ideas to yourself?! :)

Live boldly challenging status quo with the intention to live your dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Britni I am so very proud of you! I know it's such a challenge to try to make all the pieces fit together. I've watched you grow, fall, get up, and learn throughout so many of the experiences you have encountered. I am so happy that you are not forcing the pieces of your life into place, but are rather learning and guiding everything into place. You have such an incredible zest and passionate heart for others :) I love you so much and am so happy to have your friendship.

    ReplyDelete