Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Opinion of "The Social Network"



I was hesitant to watch "The Social Network" because I didn't want to support the bashing of Mark Zuckerberg. I had some kind of ethical issue about it, but honestly it didn't depict Mark in bad light at all. Merely everyone else's selfish and ignorant personalities. After watching it, I think the movie still articulates Mark's tremendous success and the self-pity of the Harvard twins. Granted Mark may have been swayed once or twice by people of influence, but honestly, he created the phenomenon with little help from those who sued him, minus his initial "CFO" who was manipulated out of the picture by Napster's super power, Shawn Fanning. So, attacking Mark was the wrong way to go. Glad “CFO” Saverin's name is back on facebook, but otherwise, more power to Mark!

Of course, this is just a movie and you never know how much of it was false, but it sure was quite a story. Glad I decided to watch it to form my own opinion!

What do you think?

Boldly challenging status quo, one idea at a time.

3 comments:

  1. Just watched The Social Network last night and really enjoyed it. Whatever the case may be with all of those guys, one things is for sure. Facebook took off so fast that they were working hard to stay ahead of the curve which may have put people second to the success of the site, but maybe that's how things go.

    Zuckerberg was portrayed in kind of a dark light, at least his personality anyway, but it wasn't like he was really out to screw anyone over. Good movie and worth watching, even if you don't want to watch a movie about facebook.

    Thanks for the post Britni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Jack!

    To me, I think they tried to make Mark dark, but his sarcasm was well played. I'd be extremely annoyed too if I were in that situation and he articulates his case so well, that I think he's the one making everyone else look stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britni my opinion is pretty much identical to yours. I too respect Zuckerberg and hate the bashing of him and Facebook, but I felt the movie had excellent dialog, plot, actors and portrayed the events that we know very well. Again, like you said, we don't know what all is true - it is a movie, but I felt the major events were overall accurate.

    ReplyDelete