Monday, March 22, 2010

The Difficult Lesson of Learning to Accept Differences



Pandora current song: Variations, by David Nevue

Opposites tend to fascinate us because they add variety to life and pull us from our comfortable rut of familiarity. Opposites stretch us beyond ourselves, forcing us to broaden our horizons and provide opportunities for growth. It’s from them that we learn our most difficult lessons. They expose us to thoughts, feelings, and experiences that are foreign to us. So why don't we accept people who are "different" from us more often?

I once had a student who asked me why he did things so differently. “Will things fall slowly into place and make me the best man I can be for I have not been influenced by the words and actions of others who are unaware that they may be living the standard prepackaged life that has been put upon by them by some influence? Or am I stubborn, stupid and blind for that is how life is suppose to be lived and happiness can only be achieved not by dreaming but by doing what we should do and not what we were born to do?”

It really is an interesting, perceptive question. Some people do live cookie-cutter lives that are completely mapped out for them whether they realize it or not. Some will enjoy the easy path utilizing the least amount of energy to challenge the system. Some will hate it, but live with it. Happiness only comes from living life with no regrets. Doing what you love and learning some way to get paid for it. Being a little stubborn for what you believe in or what you want to do is totally OK.

I am the black, odd duck in society sometimes. Yeah, it gets annoying when I see how different I am compared to others and sometimes it’s absolutely lonely. Other times I get frustrated that other people don’t try to challenge the system and seem to just sit on their hands, but who am I to judge people. I can’t walk in their shoes and I have no idea what they’ve been through in their life. I am who I am because I want to be. Whoever doesn't like it isn’t worth my time anyway. It's better to be the person you want to be than try to be someone else.

The hard part is not judging others who aren't like you. We are all guilty of this, but you have to let people live their lives the way they want. It's their life. The judgment against someone is where people fail and seclude themselves more. You'll never really get to know people if you don't allow them to be exactly who they were meant to be. Personally, you have to learn to be happy with who you are and make decisions in life that will make sure you're happy. Don't settle for a path you feel has been laid out by someone else. Follow your own.

He then mentioned that life on the farm is far better than life in a city. Living as one with nature is a constant enlightenment. Farming is not just a job, you want to be outside for as long as you possibly can. There is no false security, no place to spend your money on possessions that make up for living in an unnatural place. You hurt absolutely nothing or no one trying to cut your fellow man down so someone can make a couple extra bucks. No harming our beautiful environment with structures or pollution. He believed people move to cities because they cannot stand living by themselves surrounded by pure nature.

Some people are wired to be extroverts, constantly challenging themselves, love people and being around them. Concerned more for the people around them and the practical realities. Others are wired to enjoy the simplicity of life in the background, more preoccupied with own thoughts and feelings than caring about society. We need both in this world. Many people in rural America are used to the quiet life. I'm used to the hustle and bustle. I'm a mover, a changer, a challenger. I need someone to oppose me so I can become better. I hate slackers, complainers, slowness. I need a million things on my plate or I go crazy. I need people. I need places to go to. I need my space, but I need to be able to experience new things. I am an extremist when it comes to simplicity and complexity. I am so complex that the simple life of Curtis almost bores me to tears and continually frustrates me because I'm used to highly sophisticated, highly motivated, complex people, situations and surroundings, and that's the way I love it. It's not because of my stupidity of not appreciating the simple life. I love nature. I need simplicity sometimes. But I cannot function with complete simplicity. People can live by themselves in cities or on the farm. Some can't, but you can't assume all people are alike. Again, you cannot judge people for who they are. You have to accept that people are different.

I loved what he said after I tried to prove my point. “I love pushing peoples buttons to get past that fake barrier people use around strangers.” Granted, I was frustrated with the fact that he seemed to be judging me as being a city slicker, but I smiled because it’s a great way to really understand what people are all about. There are many different ways we approach situations. Some take the kind, easy route, but the information is hard to pull. My student takes the more abrasive route really tearing away the flesh and reading people by how they tick in the tough situations.

For my student, cities are absolutely not familiar to him and he wanted to get the deep reason people enjoy it. Some people don't embrace the craziness of city life because they may not know how or it's just not their thing. That's totally OK. People have barriers to save face. To hide themselves. Or to protect the past from creeping up when they want to keep it hidden. City life isn't a mirage. It's a way of life that is always awake. Always moving. Endless opportunities to meet people, do things, experience things. It's hard to explain. It's something you just have to enjoy in its entirety. If not, that's why you don't live in one. :)

Boldly challenging status quo, no matter where I live.

Pandora current song: Colorblind, By Natalie Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment