Friday, March 5, 2010

In the beginning...



Pandora current song: Cry Baby Cry, by The Beattles

Hello friends,

I've finally decided to write my blog. Didn't know what to write, but I think I've got it! My daily challenges, empowerment, obstacles, mentoring, living, loving, and everything in between.

As for me, I'm not your every day girl. Yeah I wake up every morning wishing I were thinner, prettier, wiser, taller, blah blah blah. But what really matters is the way I live my life, my decisions and the opportunities that I've been able to partake in at a young age.

Here's a "little" background...

I was born a leader. I'd love to challenge anyone who believes people "become" leaders, and can't be born with the gift/curse. But what constitutes as a leader? We'll get to that in a later post. At the age of 4, I told my mom to leave the minute she dropped me off at Girl Scout camp. Poor mother should have seen it coming that I was going to be Miss Independent.

I lived in Germany between Berlin's wall falling and a few years after where I started kindergarten at the age of 4. I was too old to go to preschool there, but to start school I had to take a test. I guess I knew back then how stand-up of a man my father is because instead of answering the teacher regarding my dad being a boy, I proudly said, "My daddy's a MAN" with all the determination in the world emphasizing "man." However, as daddy's little girl now, that wasn't always the case.

Well, we moved in 1992 to Port Orchard, WA where I started 2nd grade with one of my favorite teachers, Mr. Callan. That was also the year my lovely father decided to use me as his guinea pig for installing large amounts of metal to my mouth. You guessed it, he's a dentist. Anyway, I don't remember much of that year so we'll move on.

Third grade. Well let's just say I ended up in the misfit classroom with a terrible teacher who later went to jail for fraudulent checks. What a winner. I remember disliking this teacher especially because when we were in trouble, we'd have to sit under our desks. She also yelled at us a lot and overall was a crappy teacher. That was also the year we were supposed to learn our multiples. Let's just say I still have to count my fingers. Embarrassing.

Luckily, my rock star mom pleaded with the school to get me into Mrs. Marchel's classroom where I met some of my greatest friends still. Mrs. Marchel started trying to make me focus and learn since my previous year was a waste. My ultimate favorite teacher in the entire world though is Mrs. Williams. No one can come close to dedication, creativity, character, and fun as a teacher. No one, but my mom, but that doesn't count as she was never my teacher...she was the best sub I ever had though ;)

I struggled through elementary school. I hated reading. I couldn't comprehend or remember what I was reading when I had to. I was, and still am, a wretched test taker. The two women who pushed me and taught me were Mrs. Williams and my mom. My mom didn't work so she volunteered at my school all the time, even
when she went back to school when I was in 4th grade. She was my rock when I'd break down into tears. She'd spend time at home teaching and guiding me. I'm sure I was a stubborn little brat, but she kept up with it. I can't thank her enough because I wouldn't be the woman I am today without her.

Another person who has completely shaped who I am is Lacey Harper (or Hultz back then). I met her in 3rd

grade for girl scouts, but we became attached to the hip in 5th grade in Mrs. Williams' class. She brought
me to Grace Bible Church where we attended youth group all the way through high school. She always whipped me into shape if I ever tried to cross the line. Would make me feel like scum if I ever swore. She was easily the smartest girl without trying. She was creative, animated about life and we could hardly EVER be found apart.

I was a nerd. OK I still am, but who cares. If you do, you’re not worth my time. I LOVED 4-H and Girl Scouts. I tried to get every badge in the book. Tried to sell the most cookies, and went to all the camps during summer. I've ALWAYS, always loved animals and especially dogs. I was obsessed with anything "wolf" too. That led to my dog 4-H days where I presided 5 out of the 10 years I was in it. I didn't always have the best dog, but I sure loved my 4-H family. I continually became more competitive. My biggest competition were two girls: one with a poodle and one with a redder looking golden retriever. We were all from different clubs, but we wanted those trophies whether with our dogs or based on knowledge. We always had a great time competing.

In junior high, I had a hard time trying to figure out who I wanted to be. I wasn't popular. I wasn't the prettiest. I was bullied by older boys who made fun of the way I dressed and looked. I wanted to do sports, but had never played so when I tried out, I didn't make it. I was so engrossed with 4-H and Girl Scouts that it didn't kill me though. I also dinked around with track since I could get out of school and hang out with Lacey more. My endurance level back then was less than par so I never did well, but I can’t be great at everything. I did make our dance/drill team, but honestly it wasn't a great feat since everyone but two or three made the cut.

Welcome to high school. Tenth grade. An institution built for about 1,500, but held about 3,000. Needless to say, we didn't have slim pickins for sports and clubs. We dominated. I was starting to figure out who I wanted to be. Lacey and I made pacts about beer, boys, and drugs. No drinking until 21. No sex until married. Never drugs. We've kept our pacts all the way until now, except the lucky punk is married. ;) Anyway, Lacey's brains helped her succeed easily with school, where I had to work 10 times harder to compete. I hate being second to anyone and find it intimidating when others my age are better, but that just sparks me to be better myself. I had to stay in the same academic bracket as she was. Good thing I'm competitive. I ended up always being in college prep and advanced placement classes right along with her, even if we weren't in the same classroom. She probably never knew that, but no way was I going to be in the “easy” classes if she wasn’t. :)

I had always wanted to be popular. Most of our popular kids were brains so I had that going for me. But I wanted to be a cheerleader. I'm sure initially it was for popularity, but it just seemed like fun and for once I wanted to try out and make it. It took me three times, but I was determined. I may have never been the best dancer, but I was sure tried. It ended up being a great time and I loved it. I made some great new friends and partook in experiences I wouldn’t have without it. I became close to one cheerleader in particular, Brittany Lyman.

Brittany Marie Lyman is my name twin, except the way I spell my first name is far cooler, original, and better than hers. We always fought about it for fun. My story behind the spelling tops it off. First of all, my dad is a brilliant, intelligent man, but his spelling and memory are ...how shall we say it...pathetic. Knowing this, my mom asked my dad how he thought the name "Brit" was spelled...hence B R I T N I. She didn’t want him to forget how to spell it. Love it.

Senior year, Lacey and I had a small falling out. I made cheer, I finally got my license, and I wasn't going to church as often since our favorite people had graduated the year before making it less fun. Cheer was starting to consume my life. Brittany and I became the Brit Twins, and Lacey unfortunately became unattached to the hip. Hardest year without her that's for darn sure, but Britt and I had a great time too.

Senior year, I was involved in everything. ASB, cheer, school, tennis, 4-H, FFA, school and anything else I could get my hands on. I was on homecoming court and student of the month. I worked my tail off to be the best cheerleader (which I got a lot of heat for...sorry girls!), the best student, the best friend, and the best leader overall. I ended up graduating with full honors, top 5% of my 1000 person class, and a 3.89. Sure proved myself!

College. I joined a sorority to be as involved as I was in high school and have a "family" to support me going into college of about 25,000 people. Recruitment was the weirdest thing, but I loved it. It's like a two-way interview process. You choose where you want to go, but they also pick who to bring back. Stubborn me didn't dress up like the other fake fools. On the first day, I wore sneakers, running shorts and a T-shirt. If I were going to choose a sorority, they better like me for me or they weren't worth my time. I stuck out like a sore thumb, but I had people applaud me for being down to earth. Needless to say, I was asked back to every sorority throughout the whole week. Choosing was a battle, but I ended up exactly where I needed to be - Theta Nu chapter of Delta Delta Delta.

Being in a sorority opened my eyes to a LOT of things, especially some things I didn't care to know. I was, still am, a naive kid, but the sorority life was no sainthood for most people. I stuck to my guns and didn't drink. Many, especially upperclassmen, were flabbergasted! Who does that? However, I gained ten times more respect by most members and others in our community. I wasn’t going to conform just because everyone else did. I lived in the dorms across campus, so I didn't hit the night life much freshman year. But I also was a veterinary/biology major with calculus, biology, physics, chemistry, world civilization, and English. My nose was in a book almost every waking minute.
Tri Delta and I had a love/hate relationship. I loved her, but she didn't always love me back. I made bold moves throughout my time standing for what was right instead of "tradition" or fun. I challenged the members to be better, but they didn't always want to be. I stood up for the younger members when the older ones tried to rule over them. I was nominated three times I think for the Sarah Ida Shaw award which is the most prestigious Tri Delta award, so I obviously was a respected leader, but not a popular one. Tough luck on their part ;)

I met my sister for life in Tri Delta, Desilee Valeri (was Hader back then). Her and I became close, especially during the rocky years of our sorority. I loudly made my case about how the sorority should run, and shebacked me up. I helped her move away from a terrible relationship that she had been trapped in. She became involved in Fuel, the Greek youth group, and I went too. I could not have bared the frustration of my sorority without her. We made each other better people and we had the best of times together.

I decided to look elsewhere to be a leader. I became involved on campus working and volunteering my time with clubs. I wanted to meet more people and add more experiences. I loved college for that reason. I became one of those students who had my hand in just about everything, as well as in the classroom.

I finally graduated in 2008 after changing my major from vet medicine to communication (classes didn't really overlap), but to also give me more time for leadership. I just about stayed an extra year to either challenge a friend of mine for the ASWSU Presidential seat or Student Regent position. I decided I needed to grow up and move on.

After college, I didn't know what I was going to do. I was too involved on campus, in my sorority and in the classroom that I didn't have time to apply for jobs. I went home to spend time with my broken mom who'd had foot surgery. I thought about teaching English in China, but I was really banking on a PR gig with Fleishman-Hillard. Both, at the time, fell through so I reluctantly accepted a job in Tri Cities from the company I had worked for since sophomore year in college during the summers.

The person I worked with used to be a friend of mine. A dear friend. I lived with her and her family, where her now 16 and 15 year old children became my informal siblings. I'd die for those kids. She saw me as a threat since they had become so close to me. Water under the bridge and a story for later.
Going back was the worst and best decision. She threw me under the bus multiple times, disrespected me, tortured me mentally and emotionally, and tried her hardest to make me feel as small as the dead skin floating in the air. I cried every night that summer. However, I became closer to the other boss more than I had ever before. We worked seamlessly, creating and accomplishing everything and more that crossed our paths.

But there was a breaking point. The female former friend crossed the line one too many times. I ended up walking out forever, or so I thought, and went home.

I finally got the call from Fleishman-Hillard, an international PR firm, in Dallas, TX. I interviewed, got the job
and moved halfway across the country where I didn't know a soul. It was the greatest adventure. I love Dallas. I love its city. I love the surrounding areas, but most of all I loved the people and my church, Watermark Community Church.

However, I was only an intern and I couldn't be an intern forever. My former boss, George Garlick, needed me again, but not in Washington. In Nebraska. In rural Nebraska. In rural, RURAL Curtis, Neb. with 791 people, or so says the sign. I ended up moving here not knowing what I was getting myself into. George needed management help for a residence hall we remodeled from a nursing home for Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture, or NCTA. Management I could do. Living where the nearest Starbucks is 128,624 feet away (yes, I calculated from Google maps) was a whole other ball game. I drove up 48 hours before students were to arrive in August for their new year of college.

I held on to Dallas with all my might. I went back and forth from Dallas to Nebraska every other weekend, which was about 13 hours one way of driving with a dog and two cats. Seems crazy, but my pets are used to car rides so it was nice to have warm bodies in the long car ride. I loved my Dallas apartment. It was perfect. I loved my church. I loved everything down there. But I finally broke the lease at the end of November because I just couldn't do it anymore.

So that's where I am now...in Curtis. Later I'll tell you about the town, my experiences, my students, etc. I feel I haven't told you much about my character and personality, but you'll see it sooner or later.

For now, I want to leave with the thought of success, my life motto by the great Emerson...

To LAUGH often; to win the RESPECT of INTELLIGENT people and the AFFECTION of children; to earn the APPRECIATION of honest critics and ENDURE the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate BEAUTY, to find the BEST in others; to leave the WORLD a bit better; to know even ONE life has breathed easier because YOU have LIVED.

This is to have SUCCEEDED.

Good night, and live boldly challenging status quo!

Pandora current song: Hemorrhage (in my hands), by Fuel

No comments:

Post a Comment