Friday, March 5, 2010

So you're in Curtis...doing what?



Pandora current song: What I've Done, by Linkin Park

Why the heck am I in Curtis? I ask myself that almost every day. I moved from Dallas, TX to Curtis, NE. Does anyone actually know where that is?

Well, we have 791 people where the closest 23K town is 50 miles away and the nearest "city" is about 5 hours away (Denver, CO).

I went from having a life in work, friends, and church, to a life of work, work and more work. I'm not one to gamble, drink, or party. My friends are the friends George Garlick, my boss, had from going to school here...over 50 years ago. Don’t get me wrong though. The older folks are the most genuine and kind people I’ve ever met and I constantly learn from them every time I’m around them. My students are my entertainment. They visit my office to talk, get homework help, get advice, and whatever else they need. Other than that, I stick to my office or my apartment out in the country a few miles south of town.

My pets are my family and my sanity. My dog has become my shadow, coming with me almost everywhere I
go. She's my former 4-H dog so her manners and temperament are perfect for the car or office. My beautiful, little Sheltie, Celest, is almost 13 years old and has become the residence hall mascot. Technically, students aren't supposed to have pets here, but I also stay at work all hours of the night. I'm not going to drive back and forth to let her out when I stay at work for 15+ hours a day.

My other babies are kitties. I never was a cat person. I didn't hate cats, but I vowed I'd never have one. After rescuing 7 new born kittens and nursing them to health for 8 weeks, I said screw it. I lost precious hours of sleep feeding and pooping those
things, I was going to keep one. Khali is my calico and she is precious. She's not a lover, but she has a sweet heart. She’ll cuddle on her own terms. She is curious about everything - my adventurer. As you can see, she also likes to cuddle in my nicely, clean, warm clothes. She also tried to play with Celest, but Celest quickly killed that idea. It was time for another cat. OMG I actually said that.


I went on Craig's list and looked for a rag doll kitty. I found the perfect munchkin when I was in Dallas and brought him home. Khali thought he was a virus at first, but they became inseparable. Bagheera is my shadow. He follows me everywhere like Celest does. He sleeps either under the covers with me, or on my neck. He cuddles on the couch when I watch movies, and I can sling him around my neck as I walk around the house. Coolest cat ever.

As you can see, I love my pets. I tried to hold back so you wouldn't get bored of animals. Trust me. I could go on and on...kind of like my first post ;)

Anyway, why I'm here. George bought an old nursing home in October 2008 to convert it into a residence hall for NCTA students. I came into the picture after he rerouted me after my Dallas interview to join him in Curtis. While in Dallas, I lost touch with the project due to conflicting managing/power with another counterpart in Washington...again. However, there came a point where we couldn't conference call any more. We had to take control of the project.

I'm here to single handily (or it sure seems like it sometimes) manage a private residence hall at NCTA, build another res hall, and try to represent George as well as I possibly can. I'm the only managing member in
Nebraska. The only one with the finances. The only one to fix a situation if it occurs. I also train and manage the residence assistants (RAs) here and on campus. I write the business plans, work with the banks and attorneys, manage finances, and all other admin. In other words, I'm the CEO, CFO, COO of Frontier Dream LLC (the managing company that owns Aggie West Residence Hall pictured on the left). And I just turned 24 in Nov. But don't let it fool you. It took a lot of work to get to this position, and it takes a lot of work to keep up.

Oh, I forgot to mention....I only get paid for that job 4 hours of the day. The other 4 are allocated for NCTA where I'm now the Director of Student Activities, RA coordinator, and unofficial PR manager. I'm currently trying to start a student entertainment board to get students to help me create and implement activities and fun on campus. These kids are bored to tears in the middle of NoWhere, NE. I don't blame them. I'm also chairing a services and activities fee committee where I've appointed students to help allocate $60K to student organizations on campus to help sustain them. I'm also in the middle of RA evaluation season. Yay.

I am getting the experience of business management and knowledge of college administration that I would never get anywhere else. It's the perfect job fit...to an extent...but the idea is perfect. I make and keep the business rules, while I can still help students succeed in life as well as enjoy college. However, it's not easy.

Now, I don't want anything handed to me. I don't want people to wait on me hand and foot. Ever. I don't want everyone to agree with me. But what I want is a tolerable work ethic. For people to stop enjoying the status quo. To stop living, breathing, and working in mediocrity. To step up to the plate and maybe swing and miss, but not give up. To stop complaining and just get their work done. To go above and beyond what's expected, especially for the betterment of our students. To quit pointing fingers at the problem, but be the change needed.

I feel I have become a "negative Nancy" constantly challenging the system, the tradition. I used to be a quiet listener who stood in the background, but I just can't here. Our students, our customers, are hurting and some won’t stand up for them. People just smile and expect problems to solve themselves. I'm sorry. When in life does that ever happen?

It’s hard because people don't work together cohesively to complete anything. It's a morphed way of trying to accomplish anything. No wonder we're hurting so much... on every level.

I constantly feel bitter. Frustrated because I've seen and worked at a well-oiled college team at Washington State University where everyone's high motivation and teamwork achieved greatness with and for students and the State of Washington. Sometimes I just don’t know what to do.

I quickly had to learn patience, and I stubbornly turned my head. Patience is not a bold word in my dictionary. I tend to forget there is such a thing.

Anyway, I'm constantly trying to be better, do better, and learn more than ever. I'm leading by doing.

Well, I think it's time to wrap up for the night.

Live boldly challenging status quo.

Pandora current song: A Thousand Miles, by Vanessa Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment