Friday, March 12, 2010

Leadership: Who’s got it? Who’s willing to step up to the plate? You all can. Even in just little ways.



Pandora current song: Dare You to Move, by Switchfoot

What is leadership? This question is widely talked about, yet widely confusing. Not one style is effective for every situation life throws at us. Some people believe leaders are born and others think leaders are made. There is a love-hate relationship between leaders and followers. Some people think leaders are elitists, manipulative, or bigheaded. People want self-confident leaders, but leaders who have at least a little self-doubt. But, how do leaders actually lead? Better yet, how do we assess how well they lead? People also want leaders who are good listeners and who represent their constituents. A person may be an outstanding leader here, but fail there. People expect their leaders to be “perfect,” so when they mess up, or fail, people feel let down.

Leaders possess many things including traits, behaviors, and their histories. At first, researchers thought those who became leaders were different from those who remained followers. However, there was no such pattern. Different people can handle different situations better than others. Personal and situational characteristics should be considered when examining a person’s leadership and capabilities. “Training provides the leader with knowledge, procedures, and techniques which increase his or her sense of control over the group’s task activities” (Wren 87). Personal histories teach new and better ways of approaching situations in the future. It just depends on how open people are to making those changes.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was a very different leader in many ways. He didn’t want people remembering him for his accomplishments, but for his purpose in life. “He was a profound and provocative speaker” who was full of self-doubts, and keenly aware of his own limitations and human weaknesses (Wren 320). He willingly risked his popularity among blacks through his steadfast advocacy of nonviolent strategies to achieve radical social change. He didn’t care what people thought of him, as long as in the long run, his efforts where worth his cause. The way he is portrayed in most history books is that he was self-confident and full of leadership and the power to make change. Further research shows how human he really was and not as God-like as people try to describe him. “King’s success as a leader was based on his intellectual and moral cogency and his skill as a conciliator among movement activists who refused to be simply King’s ‘followers’ (Wren 322). His wide range of skills and attributes prepared him for what was to come at him. Persuasive speaking wasn’t a bad quality either. His encouragement and struggles gave people someone who was just like themselves to count on. He offered optimistic belief that ordinary people can collectively improve their own lives.

Personally, I would love to be more like MLK. I try to show how capable I am when really I should be just doing my job and doing the best I can without caring what other people think. A lot of times I think my way is the best way, but some people are great at one thing and worse at others. Good leadership improves outcomes when people work together for a common cause and use each others’ strengths to get the job done efficiently and effectively.

Learning new ways to be a better leader gives me a better understanding of how to deal with people and situations that cross my path. Sometimes leadership can seem like common sense, but that’s rarely the case. New approaches and experiences regarding leadership constantly give me a better understanding of others and myself. I am by far no expert on leadership, but I thrive to be a part of committees, groups, or situations where transformation or revolution is needed. I love seeing what a group can accomplish together, but I also like watching an individual develop and learn while they progress through the movement.

I am constantly battling self-assurance, self-awareness, and self-motivation among my students on campus, but the real catcher is just trying to get others to empower our students. Empowerment or encouragement suffers and in turn, the students lose out on important life skills. OK, sure. This is a two year school with mostly 17- to 20-year-olds, but we can’t pretend these students don’t have brilliant minds for ideas. If we don’t trust our own students, how will they ever grow into the people of our future? How will they ever understand the mechanics of becoming our leaders of tomorrow? Why can’t we start teaching them to be the leaders of today?

I have been constantly campaigning for student “ownership” on campus. For some reason, I feel like their advocate. I know what it looks like on a larger scale. I know what they’re missing out on and it frustrates me to no end. Students won’t care about this university if we don’t give them a sense of ownership to honor.

As their “activist,” I have really crossed lines that really should have never been drawn in the first place. I have a position on campus which could be a blessing and curse. I work for a private investor on one hand that involves the residence hall facility and overall representation of George Garlick. But I also work in the administration on the other hand. For one project, it’s tough trying to represent one and advocate for the other. I’m sure people see my constant push to improve as abrasive, but I live my life trying to steer clear of settling in mediocrity and “tradition.” If I ever do, I’ll be just like the stupid frog that doesn’t realize the water is going to boil until it’s too late.

And what is “tradition?” In our Greek community at WSU, people always thought certain activities or functions were “traditions,” when in reality, they’d only been around for a year or five. Tradition is what you make of it. What you should really base your traditions on are the true purposes behind the scene. For a university, they are meant to educate and broaden horizons not yet explored personally and globally as well as enrich lives through study and interaction. All of this should be inspired for students to achieve their highest goals by faculty, administration and even each other. Through innovation, empowerment and leadership, this institution can change lives and contribute to the overall economic and civic vitality of the community, state, nation and world.

So. I ask again. Who’s up for leadership?

Boldly challenging status quo!

Pandora current song: Breathe, by Anna Nalick

No comments:

Post a Comment