Monday, March 22, 2010

Student activism



Pandora current song: Yellow, by Coldplay

I’ve always believed in involvement no matter where I live, but especially when I was in school. I miss the easy opportunities, and can’t wait to dive right back into them when I go for my MBA in Aug 2011. Being involved gives people a sense of ownership, uniting for a cause or purpose. Creating and upholding traditions while passionately leading and following for that cause. It could be a sorority, a team, a society, organization, work place, institution, or charity. Caring about the outcome and celebrating the successes, even if minute one, can give a person a reason to grow and learn.

Earlier this year, I gave our students a platform to create a forum to ban together to voice their opinions about operations at our school. They didn’t seem to be heard previously, so I thought I would make sure they were. A student meeting where no administration, besides myself, were present to talk openly and honestly. There weren’t any subjects off limits and I wanted them to be as candid as a Kodak moment.

It was a tremendous success. Over three-fourths of the student population showed up. It was pretty much a complain-fest, but that’s exactly what I wanted. For students to interact with each other and talk openly about their opinions.

That week, I asked a few student leaders to bring their most important points to the administration. I didn’t want rude students present, but a professionally put together group who could speak precisely and maturely. I also invited the press to make sure the comments made were held accountable. Yes, of course I had approval from the shark bait, I mean administration before the second meeting.

The second meeting was two hours long full of ideas and possibilities. I was so proud of our students and they were thrilled they were given a platform to speak their minds, and for someone to actually listen.

But I don’t want to dive anymore into why I did it or the outcome. I was the facilitator of the meeting so I sat back and watched my students interact. This is what I saw...

There are some people we think are annoying. Talk to much or seem to ALWAYS have a story to beat one we just told. However, we can’t just write those people off. Sometimes there are underlying messages we miss if we aren’t paying attention. While I sat there, a student with that same aura spoke and no one listened. They seem to not be able to handle her vivacious attitude so they quickly wrote her off, when in fact if the comment had come from anyone else, they would have accepted her comment. Don’t be quick to judge how people say things or who they come from. Sometimes we don’t open our ears or eyes and miss the true beauty of someone because of preconceived notions or thoughts. Why can’t we be more accepting of people?

A topic students brought up was not really knowing our new associate dean. “You need to gain respect in a new environment. Look the part. You’re no better than anyone else. Be friendly. Converse with people.” I’m sure many people judged me when I walked on this campus with my stilettos and fashion forward self (honestly I’m as far from a fashion figure, but my city slicker attire in rural America REALLY stands out). For me to gain trust and show them I’m just like them, words wouldn't word. I had to prove myself by playing mud football. OK, we don’t have to get dirt in every crevice of our bodies to prove ourselves, but we have to go out of our way sometimes to gain trust of our constituents. If they don’t trust us, how can we serve them?

I believe it’s better to have 20 student activists, than 200 student slums. Be the outlier that changes stereotypes. You can’t expect change. You have to act upon it. It’s up to you to go out of here and change the minds of the student or corporate world. If you conform to what they expect, nothing will change. If you stand your ground and fight for the cause in and off campus, you’ll create the change.

Side note: I’m typing this while sitting in my office on my time off. We have a door in our building that won’t stay unlocked because it slams hard enough to pop the locking mechanism back out. I sit in my office day after day while students try to open the door without unlocking it. It’s never unlocked except for a slim chance, but they still try and it makes a clanking noise every time. Why do people continue trying to open doors that will never open? It’s the same in everyday life. If we continue to do the same things every day and we continue to hate the result, do something about it. Stop doing the same thing if you know you’ll always get the same result. So many people just do the same thing over and over and over again for that one in a million shot they’ll “win” and not have to get their keys out. Like the lottery...

Anyway, back to our forum. Quite a few students were frustrated that our administration wouldn’t commit to things on the spot. I had to later explain that it’s easier to not commit to things than to back peddle. We also had the media there noting all of our comments. It doesn’t mean we aren’t working on it, but our students need to learn professionalism in not declaring every little detail.

Overall, I didn’t want our students to settle for mediocre. I wanted them to keep knocking on doors and busting them down where they can whether on campus or in life, but to move on to a window if the door doesn't open. Expect progress and act upon it. If we don’t expect anything from anyone, what is there to live for?

Listen and follow as well as lead by doing. Act as if no one knows you’re doing it. Empowerment is a mighty force. Leave a legacy. Defend what’s right. Don’t be passive and listen to everyone. Open your eyes to new possibilities and expand your horizons.

With that said, live boldly challenging status quo.

Pandora current song: Meant to Live, by Switchfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment