Monday, March 29, 2010

Don't assume



Pandora current song: Amber, by 311

“The challenge of leadership is coming to a common purpose from the vast differences that individuals bring to a situation. Finding the purpose, vision, and common commitments that create a ‘we’ from a group of individuals is the challenge of a community” (Exploring Leadership 139). Life throws challenges at us every move or decision we make. No one ever said it would be easy; it’s just how you deal with what life sets forth in front of you.

Gender is a black and white topic of how people are viewed. Or is it? For instance, when I first walked into our leadership class, people judged me for being 1. Being a Tri Delta and sorority girl 2. Somewhat attractive 3. Blonde and 4. Confident. A classmate of mine said exactly those words. He thought I was going to be a cocky piece of work who he wouldn’t be able to get along with because I was "one who thought she knew everything because things are always handed to me on a golden platter." Little did he know I was far from a snotty, stereotypical, sorority girl.

At the retreat, I wasn’t the girl sitting on the sidelines, but one of the guys playing with the football or jumping off the swings to see how far we could jump off. Besides my angel of a sorority sister, Bethany, I didn’t have to have a clan of girls with me because I’m more of an independent person than not. In Bethany’s case, I almost wish I hadn’t been there so she would have been forced to get to know other people. New situations used to be awkward and difficult for her. Anyway, I have more closer guy friends than I do girl friends for many reasons.

Being a girl effects pretty much everything I do. I like fashion and dressing up for work. I love to have fun and being around true friends. Of course, I have my moments of tears, but not as often as others. However, I do a lot of things that constitute as being masculine or manly. My dad and I go fishing every time I go home. I get slimy and gross, but I love it. I love football and I don’t mind getting dirt under my nails! I’m very competitive. I hate cooking because I’m impatient, but also cooking for one person isn’t fun. All these things change the idea of me being a “cocky prissy” woman.

I am me and that’s who I am. I don’t conform to the majority. I do what I want and I absolutely won’t do what I don’t want to do. I’m stubborn and sometimes it’s good and others it’s not, but I have learned to control my stubbornness to a certain level. To be an effective leader one must develop an openness and appreciation of various cultures and aspects of how others may differ.

I used to take a lot for granted, but I am also thankful for everything I have. I’ve seen people at their weakest points and people who have nothing at all. I think the cultural assumptions question can be answered as absolutely. As a white, American, woman I have a lot going for me as a businessperson. Women are becoming more powerful in a world full of powerful men. As a woman, my value system is a bit different from most guys, and girls for that matter. I feel to be strong, I need to stick to my believes and never waver no matter how much I want to.

My age doesn’t influence my values as I have had my values set as I grew with others around me who were a year or two older than me. Leadership wise, I have also proven that age doesn’t matter. When I joined Tri Delta at the age of 17 and didn’t turn 18 until much later, I seemed to be more mature than half the sorority as a freshman. This intimidated a lot of people as they told me later that my leadership, values, and self-confidence was almost overwhelming for a young freshman. However, once people got to know me better they found out I was just as normal as they were. My ability, I feel, effects me the most. I feel I am able to accomplish anything if I put my mind to it. I put all of my effort into things when I feel they are of utmost importance or even if they aren’t so important. I give my all in everything I do and never quit. If I don’t give my all in something, I’m not excited about what I’m doing or don’t approve but I have no way of changing what needs to get done.

I also set my closest friends to high standards as well as boy friends. I don’t want to waste my time with flaky friends. This also means I haven’t dated many guys because I’m not about to date someone for fun. It’s a waste of time. I have a lot of friends, but only a handful of true, close friends. These friends I can count on for anything, which they can do the same for me.

As a leader, my values themselves affect the way I lead. I’m not a hypocrite and I don’t lie. I respect everyone even if they don’t respect me. For example, if people hate me I won’t be mean to them just because they try to tear me apart. I just can’t. I’m responsible and keep my promises. I act with class and dignity in and outside the workplace. I’m involved in as much as humanly possible. I stand for what I believe in and I always try to do my best. All of these things are part of my values that I take with me everywhere. Without one, then it’s not me. Without one, my values drop as well as my self-confidence. Therefore I don’t break the ranks of my values because I hate being mad at myself for things.

Stereotype issues arise in everyday life from age and gender, to values and ability. It just depends on how you portray yourself in everyday life from school, to friends and family, co-workers, employers, etc. Being who you are in all areas makes it easier to be the real you inside at all times. It makes life difficult if you are one person to one group and someone completely different to another. Leadership depends on values and values depend on ethics. Being ethical in every decision made will surely make you prosper even if it doesn’t seem like it at the time. Dealing with issues ethically is the best way to accomplish things. It’s everywhere.

Be like me. Be you for you. Live boldly challenging status quo.

Pandora current song: Forever, by Chris Brown

2 comments:

  1. I love you for all those reasons! You are a strong confident woman and I wouldn't have you any other way! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess! You have no idea how much that means to me. :)

    ReplyDelete