Monday, March 8, 2010

The little town of Curtis



Pandora current song: Grey Street, by Dave Matthews Band 

OK. So I feel like I didn't give the little town of Curtis justice. Yes, it's hard for me to live here with nothing but work to do, but when I'm really honest with myself, it has a lot to offer.

I used to drive through little towns, like Washtucna, WA, on my way to school and I thought nothing of them. Now living in one of those small farming and ranching towns, I've come to understand what they are really about.

The people who live here in Curtis are the most homey, down to earth, true farmer, true-to-small-towns people. They help each other in every possible way they can. People talk all of the time as communication is key to the success of the whole. But that's how a small town works. They don't have superficial, small chat sessions. They get to the deep stuff. Their relationships help them prosper in town. If you help me, I'll help you. A lot of bartering happens too, but that's the way it is. I'm not one to sit and chat it up because I have work to accomplish, but I've learned that the relationships and "help me help you" mentality is the only way to stay afloat.

The cool thing about our little town is our college. Our town thrives compared to others since we do have a healthy batch of college kids around. We all know what college kids do. A lot of us are straight out of college,
where others may have been out for awhile, but it's all the same. Students like to party. However, this year we've been lucky with minimal parties, arrests, and trouble makers. Part of my job with the school is to take care of discipline on campus. If students get busted in town with the police, they have 20 hours of community service from me. I took note of the "help me help you" so I brought the sheriff’s office a list of all current students and where they lived. In return, they walk through our res halls as well as let me know who gets in trouble. Only in a small town will they literally hand you a list of students in trouble with the law, or maybe that’s how it usually is. Never been one to be in trouble with the law...except for driving...quickly. Either way, I'm learning.

I once got in trouble, well not literally, with the citizens of Curtis because I posted a comment about the grocery store in town. I referred to it as an "Oregon Trail general store" like the ones we used to purchase meds and clothing from during our computer-simulated treks across the US. I had to back pedal a little, but come on. To me, it is JUST like it. You can buy everything from clothing, meds, food, junk food, meats, cereal, baby stuff, essential kitchen supplies, the works. They do a pretty good job in stocking and packing that store full of goodies. The only thing is that it's as small as MAYBE two small classrooms put together. So you see, Oregon Trail general store. ;)

We also have a theater that starts at 7:30PM and runs Friday through Sunday with a $4 entry fee and super cheap treats to eat while you watch the only available movie in town. On Monday’s though it’s a deal - $3 DOLLAR ENTRY. Can’t beat that ANYWHERE on the planet I’m sure of it. Hopefully it's a movie you want to see. They're usually movies that hit the box office a few months previously, but who cares. The neat thing is that it's 99.9% community ran every night. The only actually paid employee is the janitor for after the show. That's how things should be. The community coming together to provide cheap entertainment. We should all spend at least a handful of hours serving our communities whether it's volunteering at a shelter, school, charities, or even walking dogs at a humane society. How hard could it really be? I don't ever want to hear someone say they don't have enough time for things. We have just as much time as Helen Keller, Einstein, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, Jr., Michelangelo, and everyone else.

One of the newest buildings in town was the idea of a man I have come to appreciate more and more, George Garlick. He gave the city $1M to build a community center where people could congregate together for sporting events, banquets, meetings, and fun. There is a college-sized basketball court with concessions and stands. The City offices and meeting rooms are located there. But one of the most unique areas in the Community Center is the Memorial Room to signify people who've passed away, but made a difference in the community. The first dedicated citizens in the room were George's parents.

We also have a beautiful, 9-hole golf course that is also mostly community run. A livestock teaching center with a full arena, classrooms, offices, and plenty of space to rope cattle, compete in horse competitions, or have a good ol bull sale with Rocky Mountain Oysters for a snack.

At the beginning of the school year, the local, volunteer firefighters fill up their truck and dump truck loads of water into a pit north of the college. There, you'll find kids playing mud football literally covered head to toe. Since I came in as this city girl in stilettos, I had to prove myself. Yep, that's me. I was right in the action of full-on tackle mud football. Go me.

During the winter months when there is enough snow, we sled down Castle Hill which is a closed-to-vehicles hill that’s long and steep. Sometimes the kids even make jumps at the end. Unfortunately, there isn't a rope tow so the hike up sucks.

During the nice months, you'll see kids and cowboys on their horses walking down main street.In front of houses and the residence halls, guys and even gals sit out for hours roping the cattle dummy. This was by far the funniest thing to me that I had ever seen. Those kids rope that stupid metal thing all day and all night long. Hey, it keeps them busy!

I’m used to the fast-paced life with a million things on my agenda. I’ve continued that here, but one of these days I need to learn the Nebraska way and slow down. Every instance with friends or the time spent being one with nature are the essentials to rural living. You have time to reflect and learn by just chilling out. Most true happiness comes from one’s inner life, from the disposition of the mind and soul. A good inner life is tough to achieve, especially in a fast-paced life. It takes reflection and self-discipline. In rural America, you have A LOT of time for reflection.

So you see, there really is life in a small town. They make do with what they have and enjoy each other's company more than anywhere else. They know how to entertain themselves without the costly toys found in cities. It has made me completely appreciate what I had before I got here. I appreciate shopping even more LoL and I truly miss my friends and family. I really do appreciate the life found in cities and the opportunities to be had, but you can't truly understand yourself or others until you move to a small, rural town. You find that the fast paced life isn't everything. You come to understand a different kind of living and even a different kind of person. Getting to know the farming side of life has been truly a blessing because I had never really been a part of it. Yes I was in 4-H and FFA with my dogs and hogs, but the life of a true farmer is so different.

Rural living isn't for everyone. I know I won't stay here forever, but if you get a chance, find a small town and visit. Meet the people and dive into a different life. It might surprise you if you open your eyes and let the world in.

Live boldly challenging status quo!

Pandora current song: Speed of Sound, by Coldplay

No comments:

Post a Comment